What do I want to be when I grow up?

Ciao!


As I sit here listening to some classical music in the background while procrastinating, I decided to further delay the goal for today and instead, (finally) start a blog. Reading other blogs made me realize that many of them are just a brain dump. Sometimes the topic leads you somewhere interesting, sometimes it doesn't because well... it's a brain dump. Those of us with much on the brain sometimes just need a place to unload and 'my-oh-my', the internet seems like just the right (or write) place for a journal. :) The cool thing is, you can be a loyal reader and read the same one(s) all the time, or you can surf and view various blogs based on your "mood of the day", or if you're just plain nosey, like me. NO COMMITTMENT REQUIRED. I kinda like the sound of that right now...


So my first thought is "What I am doing?" My goal for the day was to review the notes from the multitude of webinars attended over the last few weeks (part of 30-day severance benefit) and put the knowledge into action by producing a personal vision statement, marketing plan and eventually a functional resume (not meaning a working resume but one that will allow hiring managers to see how I can transition my skills). So in a nutshell, even though I haven't searched or interviewed for a job in at least 11 years, I will be able to generate a resume, advertise my skills and successfully interview, thus landing me a job after working on a career at a single entity for 15 years. 

UGH.


Being laid off is kind of like being dumped by a significant other. At first you feel this intense freedom cause you didn't like being there anyway, then after a few months when the reality hits that you have to get your head back into the game, suddenly you're feeling insecure and you wonder exactly why it is that you were dumped. I mean laid off. Well it's no wonder I'm procrastinating! Add to that the talk I recently wrote about influencing my environments for Christ (which I am STILL tweaking and is due Saturday), I really feel like I have NO idea who I am or what I'm doing. Well, let me clarify further. I do know who I am, I know what I like most days, I know my spiritual gift is to encourage others, and I've first-hand experienced what I don't like. But since it's been a LONG time since I've really thought about what I want to do for ME, I don't even know where to start. The big question remains:


"What do I want to be when I grow up?"


I don't know the answer yet, and I certainly don't understand how they expect kids to answer this question so early in life. All I know right at this very moment, I need to cook an early dinner for my kid so we can leave on time for volleyball practice. And the floors need to be mopped. So while I ponder that question, I am going to be productive in one area of my life and respond to my immediate need to cook dinner, and maybe mop the floors. :)


We'll try this blog thing again later...


~Chick

Comments

Popular Posts