My Favorite Local Celebrity

I was recently asked to share what celebrities have I met or known? What “local fame” have I enjoyed? After some thought about the “who’s?” and the “where’s?”, here’s my response.
I guess I could tell you about the time I met Danny Glover at a local Spanish club when I was 24, or the time I posed for a picture with one of the Menudo stars when I was 15 [MAJOR moment], or even better, last November when my mom and I were blessed to be audience member’s of Ellen DeGeneres’ show not only once, but twice as we were invited to return 2 weeks later for the 12 Days of Giveaways. We didn’t really “meet” her, but she was a mere few feet away, so it was close.
BUT…
…instead I’ll tell you about my favorite athletic celebrity. I met her the second she was born. It was an unusually warm day back in late fall of 1998. In fact, I was able to witness her gestational period along with her birth. I had the pleasure of watching her firsthand on an almost daily basis. I watched her grow exponentially to an almost bizarre growth for an average child. But she wasn’t average.
I watched the development of her limbs reach absurdly large yet proportional levels that would allow her to palm a ball in the manner that she does today. Or smack it down as her coaches prefer. I watched her graceless movements though never lanky, as she walked around. And I often listened to the thundering footsteps…even though they were on the floor below me.
I watched as she ate like an athlete in training, even though she was mere few months or young years old. When she grabbed the bottle at 6 months of age, adamantly insisting she would feed herself. And when formula was no longer enough, and cereal was about to become a distant memory.
We were unable to engage in roughhousing or any type of physical shenanigan’s as many children enjoy because it would prove to be detrimental…to me. I’m certain daycare teachers would gladly share of the times her greetings would lay them flat from a simple running leap. Her hugs came with a fervor and intensity that would often make you brace yourself and make your knees shake, even though she meant no harm.
OH! And the kisses that planted on the cheekbone, often leaving a lasting impression, whether by a bruise or the throbbing that ensued for at least a few minutes.
It’s true what they say, Love hurts…
She was destined for greatness, I could see it all along. The typical athlete that hated academics. Still does.
But she was destined for greatness. I just knew it!
I know by now you must surely be curious as to whom I refer. The wonderful, amazing, beautiful, fabulously talented athlete and star on the front page of the September 2017 Lake City Sports newspaper. FGC’s #7. Standing firm at 5’11” tall, she is
the one…the only…Mea G!
My baby, my daughter, my favorite local celebrity. Yes, I had the pleasure of raising my favorite athletic celebrity.
I dare you to tell me otherwise…
love bitmoji
~Sista Chick

Comments

Popular Posts